Friday, October 3, 2008

Back to Leaming's Run


This week the weather was so perfect, a little cool and no humidity, I decided to try another walk through Leaming's Run. I had only managed it once before this summer. I took my faithful Hugo walker of course.


As I handed my season pass to the woman at the entrance, she asked me if I was afraid of snakes. No, not at all. She explained that s
he had seen a little black snake just a few minutes before. I have not seen many snakes at Leaming's, but have spotted one or two. They usually disappear from the path very quickly if a human approaches, but once I did manage to photograph a rather large one, sunning itself on the railing of a bridge over the Run.




Some of the flowers were beginning to fade as autumn arrived, but most were still very beautiful. I did take pictures of some, but this time I directed most of my attention to trees and moss and ferns, and as always, I love the shado
ws they create on the paths. This picture to the left was taken while I was in the center of the bamboo.





















I had no appointments and expected no visitors, so took my time wandering along, and often stopped and sat in Hugo for a while, just absorbing the beauty around me. I spent just over two hours from start to finish. There were very few other visitors while I was there. I did see Emily Aprill briefly, but Jack and their sons did not make an appearance. I was a little sorry, because I enjoy talking with them, and this day I would have been interested to ask them questions about the humming birds. No birds were to be seen either. I guess they have left on their migration, but I wanted to ask where their nests had been. I've never seen one up close, and they are so tiny that I could not find one.




I saw a few butterflies. One monarch was very obliging about posing for me.





















Near the gazebo, I noticed how beautifully the sky was reflected in the water of Leaming's Run.

Just beyond this, I paused to photograph the bridge. Don't you love the shadows?


I didn't notice at first, but at the far end, there was a small brown snake lying in the sun. As I started along the boards, it took off fast. I wasn't quite fast enough, but caught just a picture of his tail.





If you look closely you may make him out in the bridge picture.











I thoroughly enjoyed the day.









........................................................................................

Just want to add -

I stole a video from another blog. It came from i beati and I hope she doesn't mind.
It is a wonderful video showing the hand feeding of a ruby throated hummingbird, and you will find it all the way at the bottom of this page. Take a few minutes and enjoy it.


12 comments:

Daryl said...

I did too .. I especially like the butterfly photo, 'he' coodinates so nicely with those flowers

:-Daryl

Sylvia K said...

Your pictures are exquisite and I'm so glad you had a good day! It's so important to still be able to see and enjoy all the beauty around us -- in spite of the politics and all that other ugly stuff we have to deal with. Hope the rest of your day is beautiful, peaceful and rewarding.

Deborah Godin said...

Looks like a great place for a leisurely walk and some comtemplation. I'm always on the lookout for snakes around here; we have some really cool ones. Haven't seen my little water snake again, but I keep my camera at the ready.

Judy said...

Your pictures are great and I love all the oranges and yellows this time of the year. I did see the snake on the bridge and am glad I was not with you for that one!

Kelly said...

Oh Bobbie, what a beautiful sequence of photos! It sounds and looks like you had my very favorite kind of day! I will add with the exception of your encounter with the snake though! I know that they are wonderful creatures, but I'm still a wimp when it comes to snakes. I am glad that for your sake you did get to see him though! I'll give you that he had a cute little tail as he slithered away!!! All of your photos are just beautiful and I can only imagine what a glorious day you had! Hope you feel the smile that this post has brought to my face and soul!

kenju said...

Lovely photos, Bobbie. I love the shadows on the bridge. I tried to visit ibeati, but I couldn't get her page to load for me. It loaded a few posts worth, and then it froze and I couldn't get it to go any further. It looks like a great site.

Gretchen said...

Just a beautiful series of shots!

LauraHinNJ said...

Leaming's Run is one of my favorite places to visit - I never made it there this year and it'll be too late when I go to Cape May at the end of this month. Oh well.

Lovely photos!

Webradio said...

Hello !
Nice shots, always...
See You later.

Dianne said...

I love the shadows!

that first shot is very dramatic.

sounds like it was a great day.

me ann my camera said...

This is the sort of visit I would enjoy very much too. I like to lose my self in time and just wander with my concentration focused on my surroundings as I wander with my camera, and if the only sounds that I hear are only those of nature, then it is all the better. You found a lovely place to share with others. I enjoyed your walk too.

Kathiesbirds said...

What a nice walk you took us on! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the play of light and shadow. How nice to know others who enjoy it also. I'm glad you saw the little snake!