Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Losing It

Oh, who am I kidding? I've already lost it.

Today started on a disappointing note. It didn't snow. Now, usually that would be a very good thing. But today I was looking for an excuse to stay home instead of going to see the doctor for one of those once a year deals. But it didn't snow, so I went.

First, when I started out, I couldn't find my keys - again. (Later found on the small table by my armchair, where I had looked for them several times.) The only thing I ever lose is my keys, and the only time I lose them is when I really need them. But I outsmarted those keys this time, because LAST time, I had not one, but two extra sets made. So I took an extra set, and was on my way.

The waiting room was crowded, because there is no coat rack, and every-other chair held someone's coat and umbrella, etc., so when I was asked to "just fill out a few forms", it became a balancing act. I was seen, and the conversation included phrases like, "Because of your age..." which is always a crowd pleaser, and was told to come back next year. I went to the receptionist for a new appointment, just as her phone rang. She put up one finger to signal to me to wait just a minute, and proceeded to talk, and talk, and talk...endlessly. After a while another girl asked if she could help me. When I told her I needed an appointment for next year, she informed me that they don't give appointments for "next year", but would send me a letter. I have other doctors who give appointments for next year! A long wait for nothing.

The doctor had given me a prescription, so I headed for the pharmacy. There I was told there would be a 20-25 minute wait. Well, I wasn't going to come back again, so I waited. After about 20 minutes, I was informed that it was "too soon". I could not have a renewal of the medication until next month. This puzzled me, but she insisted that I had picked up this same medication only a couple of days ago. - I told you I was losing it! - Yes, I had, but had put it with my night time meds instead of with my morning meds, where it should have been. I dunno. The old girl is really gone off the deep end. I think I should go to bed and pull the covers over my head and stay there for a while.

By the way, I lied. My keys are not really the only thing I lose. Just the most aggravating thing.

7 comments:

Marla said...

I think it's just that we have too much in our minds! We aren't really losing it, are we? I try to put my keys in the same place in my purse everyday, since I commute everyday. I can't even do that right. Sometimes I can't find my glasses, and guess where they are. Hanging from my neck on a chain! Even that doesn't help. You are not alone.

Sylvia K said...

Ah, Bobbie! you want to join my club? Too much on our mind or losing it altogether, whatever it's a pain in the --- everything! Imagine if all of us lived together how we'd be falling over each other looking for all the things we all had lost!! Wish I could tell you to take two aspirin and call me in the morning and all would be well!

Lisa said...

awwww. you poor thing. the drs. office is just never fun is it?

dianasfaria.com said...

My unasked for advice is this, the next time you wish you had a reason to stay home, just do so anyway. Not to shirk responsibility, just to give yourself a break, you deserve it!
OK, now I'll go take my own advice!

kenju said...

Good for the pharmacy for knowing you already had the meds! I think that happens to all of us, Bobbie. I would be embarrassed to name all the things I've forgotten lately.

Kay said...

Sigh... I do know what you're saying and truly empathize. My husband is forever trying to help me remember where I put something or what I was supposed to do.
Sigh.....

Daryl said...

As long as you know they ARE keys, you're okay.

Forgetting is not due to anything more than overload of stimuli aka too much sh!t. ... too much input and the old hard drive aka brain slows down to process ...