Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mountaintop Removal


The following is a paragraph directly from the ilovemountains.org site:

You Can End Mountaintop Removal

Mountaintop removal is a radical form of coal mining in which entire mountains are literally blown up -- and it is happening here in America on a scale that is almost unimaginable.

Mountaintop removal is devastating hundreds of square miles of Appalachia; polluting the headwaters of rivers that provide drinking water to millions of Americans; and destroying a distinctly American culture that has endured for generations.

But mountaintop removal can be stopped -- with the help of people like you.

On this site, you can explore the National Memorial for the Mountains, watch a video about mountaintop removal featuring Woody Harrelson, share your prayers for the mountains and more.

Please take a moment to learn more about mountaintop removal mining -- and then join us by taking action to stop it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrible! The things we do to the precious world. Money may well the root of many evils.

Dianne said...

I've been sending messages to my Senators thru Twitter, someone there started a campaign

the lack of respect for nature is so out of control

Birdman said...

I did not know this!

Daryl said...

I am always impressed with how much I learn when I pop in here .. I am going to join our friend & fabulous broad Dianne and start Twittering about this.

She and I spoke and when it gets warmer we're coming to visit!

bobbie said...

Yea!!! I called Lisa and told her you're both coming!

christopher said...

Thanks for providing this information. I will write to my Representative in Washington.

dianasfaria.com said...

Dianne is so right, totally out of control.
Thanks for the info Bobbie!