Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Insomnia

Having been an insomniac most of my life, I often find myself at the computer desk at 2: or 3: in the morning. I guess, like most people, the little men who live in my computer like to sleep at that hour. Things go very slowly. But it is really frustrating to me to click on that icon on my desktop and get the message, "Address not found" and then "Firefox cannot find a server for yahoo.com. Try again later."

When that happens I can't get to my blog, nor anyone else's. Can't check my email. Can't put pictures on flickr. Can't toon. Can't even play mah jongg or solitaire. Might as well go back to bed. And TV at that hour is pretty pathetic.
Mostly infomercials.

I don't really mind if I can't sleep, now that I'm retired. Don't have to get up early unless I feel like it. But when it happens I usually feel kind of dopey in the morning for a little while. Slow to start. That's the way I feel this morning. If I am able to play on the computer for a while in the wee hours, I just keep going into the morning, and take a nap later.

So this morning I am alternately typing on this post, and staring out the front door at the gas line guys. They did turn my mail box back the way it should be, by the way, although it seems to be about three inches higher out of the ground than it was. Now apparently they are repairing - more or less - what damage they did yesterday, all along the street. They told us yesterday that they would replace grass and the ends of driveways, and whatever else was destroyed. If that is what they're doing now, there must be a heck of a lot to do up on the corner, because they've been working on it for an hour. Right now they seem to be on a break. They take a lot of those.

We had no rain yesterday! Today looks cloudy, and they tell us there is more coming. Things are squishy.

5 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Well, I can certainly relate to your post, Bobbie! While I rarely wake up at two or three in the morning, I rarely go to bed before midnight. But I do run into the same problem with the little men in our computers who seemed determined to frustrate me in the late night hours -- who knows, maybe that's how they get their kicks after a hard day???? Hope those working on your street will get it finished soon and move on.

We're having cloudy, dull weather, too, so I can relate!

Daryl said...

Keep your fingers crossed, we were told ConEd would by today (after not showing up for the last THREE appts we had with them) to reconnect/turn on our gas

And I dont know why things should be slow for you internet-wise at 2 or 3 a.m. The little men in your computer are not working on behind the scenes upgrades/maintenance at that hour ..

Unseen India Tours said...

Hope everything will be ok soon..Unseen Rajasthan

Rambling Woods said...

I too suffer with insomnia so I understand...I don't usually have time with the cable but sometimes the router needs to reset...
Michelle From Rambling Woods

Kathie Brown said...

bobbie, so sorry your computer wasn't working! yikes! That always drives me crazy! I'm here in Connecticut and it's getting squishier by the minute! Thankfully I can use my Mom's computer to blog. Not much I can do outside. This is a Noah rain! I hope you can sleep tonight!