Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Follow Up


This is sort of a follow up to my list of places I've been employed. I figured, if I don't do it now, I'll forget - just as my daughter, Kitty said when she emailed me the pictures. I asked her to send one because all I seem to have left of the little critters I used to knit, is one sad little owl. I knew she had some because I've given them to Isaac, just as I have to every other little person I know.

I'm sort of backing into this, aren't I? OK. When I wrote last, I mentioned that I had held one job as receptionist-typist, where I had so much time on my hands that I took up
knitting. Among the things I produced were many, many little stuffed animals. Lily Hydrangea asked me if I could show some of them. Sure, why not?



The penguin was actually one I made for Kitty herself, and Isaac has inherited it. Somewhere or other, I have a picture of Kit and the penguin, out on the ice in the Delaware Bay, one cold winter after we moved down here. They have both managed to survive all these years, and are now living in sunny California, far from the ice and snow. I'm glad Penguin survived so long. He looks in pretty good shape, too.


He is made in nine pieces: 2 black feet, 2 black back, 2 black flippers, 1 white front, 2 orange beak. (You could make the feet orange or yellow. And different people asked me to make the body different colors.)

The owl and cat are basically the same 2 piece body, only I usually made the cat skinnier. Wings for the owl, tail for the cat, and the faces different. This one is the one I have left. I think I must have kept it because I didn't do too well on the eyes on this one. - Owl and cat are so quick to do, it was easier to make another than to re-do the eyes. I'm sure anyone who does much knitting can figure out how this is done, and it can be any number of stitches that you like, depending on how fat you want them. Click to enlarge if you want to count stitches. I never used a pattern - just made it up as I went along. I stuffed them with old stockings, so they are washable and dry quickly.


So, there you have it. Anyone who cares to start knitting can give it a try. They are small enough for a baby to handle easily - well the cat and owl are. Penguin may be a bit awkward until baby is big enough to manage him.

Enjoy.

There seems to be some difficulty with the link to Lily Hydrangea. If you have trouble, you can go to Long Island Daily Photo, on my side bar under Must Read Every Day.


8 comments:

Daryl said...

What fun those are ... I wish I had a kidlette to commission you to make one for ...


:-Daryl

kenju said...

I love that penguin, Bobbie! Anyone you made those critters for is lucky!

Sylvia K said...

Cute and cuddly little guys, there are days when I could use one of those!

Clara....in TN said...

How Cute. I knit every day of my life. I may have to try some of these. Thanks!

KG said...

Those are SO cute.

One of my friends was so enraged because she discovered that some company was selling "hand-made knit stuffed animals knitted by Chilean women" for $40 a piece. She, of course, is also Chilean and was like "screw this, I can make this thing for nothing!" So she taught herself to knit and now does it all the time!

Anyway - I'm jealous of your knitting skills. Maybe one day I can learn to do it!

Kay said...

Oh my! These are too too adorable for words. You need to sell them at crafts fairs. Toddlers would love them!

dianasfaria.com said...

Bobbie! I missed this last night in my haste to post! Thanks for posting this. I Love these critters, they are perfect. I love all three but right off the top the owl is my favorite with those expressive eyes.
Thanks for including me Bobbie.
; )

Anonymous said...

These are so incredibly cute! I am emailing this link to my daughters who both like to knit. I think they could have a lot of fun with these.