Sunday, December 13, 2009

Memes

I've been feeling kind of strung out recently. I've decided to cut back on some of the memes I've been participating in. I stopped a few quite a while ago, but it's reached the point where even the few I do are becoming too much.

I really love Think Green Thursday and feel it's an important one, and I won't give up on that one, even though Thursdays sometimes sneak up on me, catching me without any preparation. And I do love Shadow Shot Sunday. Shadows have always fascinated me, and that one is fun - although here again I may not be able to get out and look around for something, particularly as winter closes in. So I hope that I'll keep up with those two. Sky Watch is beautiful. I love viewing as many as possible each week. But there are so many of them! It's impossible to really cover them all, much less comment on as many as I would like to do. I am always amazed at the talent all of those participants exhibit. And Mellow Yellow is fun too. So many possibilities.

There are quite a few other memes out there that look so interesting, and that I would really enjoy participating in. But I don't really enjoy being pinned down to things. Never have. I don't wear a watch, and don't like to follow routine in anything, although as I grow older it does become more necessary to do certain things at the same time every day. (Like eating, even though I'm supposed to take meds with my food. I frequently forget to eat, since I'm never hungry. ) It sometimes annoys me that I am supposed to do a meme on a certain day. I usually get around that by scheduling them ahead of time.

My dislike of routine even extended to how I got to work every day, before my retirement. I lived only about three minutes from work, if I turned left at the end of the driveway, left again at the end of the block, then right a few blocks farther. But I rarely went that way, I would leave early and go up to the bay first, or go around the block to see what was blooming in someone's garden, or just wander through the neighborhood.

I guess I have fallen into some routine recently. When I get up in the morning I generally sit down at the computer and check email first, then move to comments I've received the night before, then do the jigsaw puzzles. Then I eat breakfast - unless I become too distracted by the computer. At times that is the case and I forget to eat for an hour or two.

Anyway, I don't think I will be doing many memes other than the two I mentioned. Of course, if I see a gorgeous sky, or something yellow and unusual that I just can't resist, I'm sure I will drop by another meme once in a while. But for the most part, for a while I am just going to write what I feel like writing, when I feel like writing it.

7 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

you & I are much the same way as far as routines go. I don't think I have done anything the same way a single day in my life. than agin, maybe that's "my" routine! LOL.
anyway, good for you deciding to scale back. I mostly participate in memes because they give me ideas of what to photograph. I take pictures every day so it's a helpful sort of brainstorming technique.
My problem is keeping up with the commenting!

Sylvia K said...

I do understand where you're coming from! I do five memes and they take up soooo much time! I've seen others that I think would be fun, but just do anymore, particularly since I was asked to join the Sky Watch and That's My World team. They're great fun, but do take a lot of time. Like you, I don't like schedules, have always done my own thing in my own way, in my own time frame. Well, choice should be one of the benefits of getting old -- there aren't a lot of other ones!

Enjoy your Sunday!

Sylvia

Dawn Fine said...

Howdee Bobbie..
I hear ya..
lately with very spotty and virtually non existent internet connection in our Homey...i havent been able to do memes..When I have a good connection and arent traveling so much I have more time.
So i have been cutting back too..
Glad you decided to keep your shadow shots..lots of shadows inside!

Caroline said...

Just between the two of us, I don't ever do memes. There's too much really creative stuff to do! I like your last sentence: "...I am just going to write what I feel like writing, when I feel like writing it." Amen.

ramblingwoods said...

Oh Bobbie...don't stress out over memes..It isn't worth it. I decided to cut back to some extent. Maybe do one of each meme a month except for Nature Notes and Thinking Green which I have to do. But if you don't want to do Thinking Green any week, don't worry about it. The point is to enjoy it and not stress...Michelle

Dianne said...

I rotate what I do and when I do it based on what photos I have or what mood I'm in

it's all supposed to be fun without any obligation

Kay said...

I used to enjoy some of the memes, too but I found that it took up too much of my time and that the comments ended up being redundant. How many ways can I say gorgeous, wonderful, beautifully captured?