Thursday, November 5, 2009

Dona Nobis Pacem



For the Future of Our World

The future is, of course, our children, our grandchildren, and all of the children yet to come.

I often wonder about the warmongers - and the tyrants, those who head companies which pollute our land and sea and air for the sake of wealth -
all of those who, in any way, perpetrate the evils of our world. I understand that they are totally self-centered. But does that extend to their progeny? Can they really be completely uncaring about what will be faced by their own children and grandchildren? Or have they convinced themselves that somehow their own will be shielded from the results of what they have created?

Look into the faces of your innocent children. Listen to their sweet voices asking you "Why, Daddy?" "Why, Mommy?" Picture them now, if you dare, transported to the ugly scenes of war. Surely this is not a picture you can bear to entertain for long. Then think seriously of the many wars that continue to tear apart lives in so many parts of our world today. OUR world. Not just "the" world. It is our world. And think, sadly, of other people's children, going through that daily hell.

This is why we pray - Please God - Let there be Peace.

There will be no Peace in Our World until and unless we work to make it so.


My thanks to Karin, who found a beautiful video of the cast of M*A*S*H singing Dona Nobis Pacem, and brought it to our attention. I have just learned that this version of the hymn is no longer available due to a copyright claim . There are many other versions on YouTube. You can find one on my second blog, Video Venue, if you care to hear it.

9 comments:

Kathie Brown said...

Bobbie, thank you for this post, though the film clip is not working. It says it is no longer available due to a copyright claim. Too bad.

As a mom with a son in the army, every thing you say rings true to me. How can I send my son to die for someone else's war? It is very hard, but it is his choice. I don't know how those mothers in Irag or Afganistan stand it. As for those greedy corporate CEO's, I don't get it either. This IS our world and when we pollute it, we pollute ourselves! I pray someone has the sense to stop it! I see it all right here with the mining issue. The mining companies and Portland Cement care nothing about how they will effect us or the environment. All they see is the dollars to be made and then they will cut and run!

Kay said...

Thank you for working for Peace, Bobbie. I'm with you completely. My husband worked for E.P.A. and it was such a frustration but he feels good about what he tried to do. We were so idealistic in the 60's. I hope the young people coming up with continue the good fight for PEACE.

Speedcat Hollydale said...

Great post ... all so true.

Peace from SpeedyCat in Minnesota !! :-)

Lisa (Mountain Photog) said...

Amen. I couldn't have said it better myself. It is frustrating--and disheartening--to see that "every man for himself" and "anything for a dollar" mentality that seems to be so prevalent. You wonder how we as a society can be so shortsighted. . .

Anonymous said...

wonderful post. let there be peace. and let it begin with me.

paz

Dianne said...

lovely post

you Bobbie do so much every day and I respect and love you for that

Deborah Godin said...

So well put. Perhaps all those bigwigs think their offspring can eat the money they inherit...

Sylvia K said...

I can only echo what all the others have said, Bobbie! You do indeed, do so much and like Dianne, I love and respect you for all of that. Peace does indeed begin with each and everyone of us. We can't just shrug our shoulders and walk away.

Have a great weekend!

Sylvia

Rambling Woods said...

This is a beautiful post Bobbie. You did a great job. You do wonder what these people think..I can only believe that they are so blind to it all that they don't think... Michelle