Sunday, December 13, 2009

Misunderstanding

Do you remember things from your childhood which you were convinced of, but were totally wrong?


The thing that keeps coming to mind at this time of year is the Christmas carol, Silent Night. I could never understand what made peas heavenly. And why would they have placed the baby in a manger full of them? It just didn't make sense to me, but I sang it dutifully. Why I never asked anyone, I cannot tell you. I guess it was just another of those things that grown-ups did that were incomprehensible to children.



In different circumstances, when I was much older than that - in the sixth grade as a matter of fact - our teacher taught us that there is no such thing as the moon. She claimed that the moon was only the reflection of the sun. I was surprised to hear that, and rather disappointed, but I had no reason to doubt what a teacher would say. I believed that for a while, until my older brother straightened me out and my parents confirmed that there was, indeed, a moon up there.


Did you ever misunderstand a word or phrase or fact as a child?

10 comments:

kenju said...

I feel certain that I did, Bobbie, but at the moment, they are all escaping me. I know I wondered about "peas" too.....LOL

Caroline said...

That's a good one. Also, your blog is looking mighty fancy. I like the falling snowflakses.

My friend thought the God drove Adam and Eve out of Eden in a car (!!).

I'm sure I mistunderstood a word in a verse, but nothing comes to me right now.

ramblingwoods said...

I had to run through 'Silent Night' in the head to find the peas. LOL. This wasn't my mistake, but one my father told my sister and me. For some reason we had liverwurst for lunch a lot. At least it seemed a lot to me. My father spun a yard about the magical 'isle or wurst' of the coast of England where liverwurst grew and was a treasured treat. Now who wouldn't want to eat a treasured treat? LOL and I still hate the stuff....Michelle

Anonymous said...

After reading about liverwurst...

I remember eating the crust of toast or bread.

Mom told me it made hair grow on your chest. I guess at an early age I wanted hair on my chest. Funny thing.

When I got married, my wife used to kid me saying, "I see you still only got two hairs on your chest."

Kathie Brown said...

Oh bobbie, this is hilarious and sad! My how a child's mind works! But I remember hearing about my father showing someone a picture "on the sly." I thought he meant "On the slide" and I wondered why and how he and his adult male friends would go out and climb the playground slide just to look at a photograph! So, you are not the only one!

Dianne said...

I'm sure there are many but the one that comes to mind is that I thought compilation albums were recorded by all the artists getting together in a giant studio :)

Jim said...

Hi Bobbie, Good Heavens!

I used to sing 'my potty lies over the ocean' instead of 'bonnie' when we'd sing that in school, first grade era.
No one complained.
..

bobbie said...

That is so funny, Jim. And I just got a Christmas card showing 4 little kids singing, "Go smell it on the mountain".

Daryl said...

Round young virgins confused me .. there's a wonderful book of misheard song lyrics called .. wait here's a link to the website


http://www.kissthisguy.com/

Kay said...

This is so hilarious, Bobbie. Thank you for the chuckle.