Friday, February 22, 2008

And Now - The News

Don't you sometimes long for the good old days, before the morning "news" shows? Of course you do. I shouldn't even ask the question. I've read Dianne's hilarious post, back on February 13th about the weather man, and recent references by other bloggers, that all tell me I'm not alone in this.

Why do they persist in calling it "news" when it obviously is meant to be entertainment? (And sometimes it is actually entertaining.) If an item was really newsworthy, they would break into whatever else they were doing to let us know about it right away. They would not be planning to tell us about it later, and meantime teasing us with a promise to let us in on it if we stay tuned in for the next segment, or tune in to the 11: o'clock news. And if something we use or eat every day has been discovered to be dangerous to our health, wouldn't that be deemed to be real news, rather than be postponed until tomorrow's broadcast?

And by the way, I really resent it when we're told excitedly, "This just in! It has been reported that doctors...scientists...environmentalists...whatever...have discovered that..." followed by something that we've all known for at least five years.

And don't even get me started on their endless reports on celebrity babies/divorces/rehab comings and goings. I DON'T CARE! It's none of my business. I have my own life to live.

Apparently TV programmers believe that their viewing public is made up of morons.

This is why I listen to NPR. Not that they always give me only real news, but I don't always feel insulted. When I want to be entertained, I turn on the TV. And when I do watch TV, I avoid the major networks at "news" time. If I'm going somewhere, I may watch the traffic report. If I want to know about today's weather, I open my front door and look outside. If I need to know what the weather may be like tomorrow, I go to weather.com. I don't need to see someone standing out in the rain to know that it's raining.

OK. I'll get off the soapbox now. Sorry. Just had to get it off my chest.


8 comments:

pink dogwood said...

I haven't watched any news (or much tv) since 911. I like NPR as well.

It is funny though, growing up in India we didn't have a tv in the house till I was 7 or 8. Even then, it was only on few hours in the evening (late 70s) - we used to watch whatever they put on - even show about how to improve sugar cane crops :)

Dianne said...

I love you on your soapbox! Make sure and hop on up there more often.

They (weather man Wally!!) are having a field day today with the snow. I have a Pavarotti CD playing - his voice is just filling my space.

Shelly said...

Hurrah! You hit the nail on the head, perfect post. Those "bait-casts" make me crazy. Last night it was about how safe our local fish is....or isn't. If we're in danger why do we have to wait until 11 to find out? Grrrr.

nora leona said...

Amen sister!
I finally did the meme.

KG said...

I love NPR. I hope I never see photos of the people - for some reason I like them better as faceless voices. And yes, morning news sucks - but you already knew my opinion on that having read my blog.

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Boy Barb. Tell us how you really feel. I loved the rant, but I have to tell you, I laughed through the whole thing. I feel the same. If it is so important that we as the public should know. Tell us then. Don't wait for a couple of hours and have a 15second blurb on it.
Do you feel better now? Lisa

kenju said...

All that you mentioned, plus a few other reasons are what made me stop watching most newscasts about 3 years ago. If it is real news, it makes me sad. Most of it isn't real, as you know, and a waste of time.

Anonymous said...

Bobbie - Enjoyed the photo, news rant (how true!) and that marvelous poem by Ric Masten... it was as if I could visualize and sense all that he described - wonderful word pictures and poignant memories. Thanks for brightening my day... Deb

P.S. Thanks for your kind comments on my Waltzes with Words postings.