Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The World of Meme

Ok, Folks. Dianne, of Forks Off the Moment has tagged me for a meme. This really isn't my sort of thing, but I guess it could be fun. I'll give it a try.

Guess we start out by giving you the rules we're playing by, so here goes:


Link to the person who tagged you.

1. Post the rules on your blog.

2. Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself.

3. Tag six random people at the end of your post, by linking to their blogs.

4. Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their
website.

5. Let your tagger know when your entry is up.


And now, I post my six quirky habits, for all to know. I guess I have enough to fill pages, but I will gladly restrict my list to six.

l. I just can't let a new word go. If I run across one I don't know, or have heard but am not sure of the meaning, I am compelled to find a dictionary and learn what the heck it means. The vocabulary game for free rice is great, because it supplies both the word and the definition. That's my kind of game.

2. Still in the realm of language, it drives me crazy when an announcer on radio or TV manages to mis-use or mis-pronounce a word - especially if it is the name of a country. I don't care if an ordinary person like you or me does this. But a news anchor!? IT'S THEIR JOB!

3. I have a habit of picking up a shell or a stone whenever I find myself spending a beautiful moment or two in a beautiful place. I carry them in my pocket or on the dashboard of the car for a while, then sooner or later they find their way to my desk or table or bookcase. I cannot begin to tell you how many little shells and stones I have accumulated. I just seem to need something of the place with me. I take photographs, but that isn't enough.

4. I almost always travel a different route to get to a familiar destination. When I was working, I lived only a half mile at most from the office, but I went a different direction and took the long way 'round every day, unless I was running late. I like a change of scenery.

5. I can't stand nail files or emory boards or dentist's drills or brushes, or anything that rasps. I close my eyes and take it in the dental chair, but I don't have to file my nails! Manicure scissors do just fine.

6. I absolutely refuse to forward any email that threatens dire consequences if left unforwarded, or any chain letter of any kind. Just won't do it. Superstition makes me angry......and superstition coupled with religion makes me furious. God is not going to damn anyone to hell for breaking a prayer chain. And don't try to guilt me into it by telling me if you don't get it back you'll know what that means.


Guess that brings us to the part where I tag a few more unsuspecting people:

Lisa (Villas Girl)

Lisa (The Butterfly Farmer)

Shelly

Mahala

Judy

Nora







11 comments:

kenju said...

Thanks for tagging me, Bobbie. I have pages of them too, but I will restrict myself also. LOL

We have some things in common, but not nail files. I am an everyday filer of nails, especially if I have a snag or hangnail. Cant stand them!

I'll let you know when my meme is on the blog.

Shelly said...

Hey Bobbie, Thanks for tagging me..unfortunately I'm such a newbie I haven't figured out how that works yet. If I can figure it out I'll play! I could just copy yours except for the nail file thing - I could insert my vengeance for litterbugs in that slot.
S~

Lisa said...

I have to think about this one, to narrow it down obviously. ;) I'll let you know when I'm done. And I'm with you 100% on 2 & 6, but I'll come up with my own... I also have an arsenal to choose from.

Anonymous said...

Bobbie - Interesting post... I'm probably overdue for a bit of pithy introspection, myself. We have the new word definition and pronunciation faux pas of public personages, as quirks in common.

Thanks for the visit- I, too, was intrigued by that spiral chimney.....Deb

me ann my camera said...

I came across your blog and must say you have wonderful (and familiar habits). dictionary.com is a favorite place of mine, I never leave home without my camera and find it so amazing that there are so many fantastic, rocks. pebbles and shells in the world! I also love to find new roads, old roads, and will get where I am going eventually if I don't get lost. You have a lovely blog.

bobbie said...

Hi everyone. Thanks for coming.
Judy, Shelly and Lisa, thanks for being willing to join in with the meme. I'm a newbie too, Shelly. The only problem I had was learning how to do links, but it turned out to be very easy.
Garden Author, I'm always delighted to have you visit, and I'm enjoying your blog so very much.
Me and my camera, what a nice surprise! I explored all of your blogs, and don't know which I like best. Probably the photo blog. I am a real photo nut. Thank you for your kind words.

Lisa said...

Okay, I'm working on mine. I put up my 6 things, but I'm having trouble finding 6 people to tag. I want to know more about a lot of people but I'm afraid to ask some to do this that I don't really 'know'... I'll work up the nerve, don't worry!

♥♥♥ A- Licious ♥♥♥ said...

loved your quirks!

and you know, the more quirks i read of people - the more un quirky i see we all are...{heheheheheee}

[hug]

a-licious xoxoxox

bobbie said...

I know the feeling, Lisa. That was my problem too. I don't really "know" any of you yet. But you've all been great.

a-licious - Ain't that the truth!

Shady Gardener said...

Thanks for visiting! And thanks for being so candid. We share some of the same attributes. :-)

Dianne said...

I love your list bobbie - especially about pronouncing words incorrectly - and most definitely names! I guess the anchorpeople are just following our President - couldn't resist.

a-licious said it best - our quirks are so un-quirky.

and thanks for spreading the meme around - I have so many new folks to visit.