Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Flower Time


Kitty and Mike have some wonderful flowers in their garden in California. Here's one they have had for a couple of years now. I love it. They sent me a few seeds, and the Villas Girl and I are going to try it. There's just one thing. None of us knows the name of this flower. Does anyone out there have an idea? Doesn't really matter. We'll enjoy it, whatever it is. We just call it a blue star, but that isn't really very accuracte to describe it. Just curious.


7 comments:

kenju said...

It looks shorter than I might expect it to, but I think it is a form of agapanthus, otherwise klnown as the Nile lily. They usually have a large flower cluster on top of a longish stem (like 2-3 feet).

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

I agree with Kenju. You might also look under Allium. They're both very similar. Pretty flower.

Dianne said...

I'll go with blue star :)
I appreciate flowers but know nothing about them.
sure is pretty!

Minnesotablue said...

I'm not familiar with the flower but it is pretty!

Lisa said...

it is pretty and it does resemble both the flowers already mentioned... can't think of any others right off the bat. Good luck with growing some around here! It is very pretty. My favorite color flower.

Kitty said...

I have a grudge against the agapanthus, but I must admit now that you mention it, it is pretty similar in some ways. And it attracts snails just like the damn nile lily too. Prettier though. Much.

Shelly said...

Looks like an agapanthus to me, the only confusing part is the angle of the photo makes the foliage look a bit spiky, while the foliage of aggies is a bit more strappy. Hmmmm.