Monday, November 30, 2009

Crazy Weather

Is this weather crazy, or what? It's the end of November! One day it will be nasty and cold, windy and raining. The next, it is absolutely beautiful and warm. Lilacs are budding. The crocuses I planted are sending up shoots. What are these things going to do next spring?


Yesterday it was so beautiful that my daughter suggested we ride down to the alpaca farm again. I wanted to buy something at their gift shop for my oldest daughter's birthday, which falls on December 30th. Who knows what kind of weather we may be having next month? So that's where we went. We were told the alpacas have been inside the barn for a few days in the past week. But on Sunday they were all grazing very happily in the meadows.


There was a slight chill in the air, and one of the babies (called crias) was wearing a warm jacket. This picture is my daughter's. The cria looks like a skinny little thing. No wonder she needed the warmth. I love her white face in contrast to the brown body.



Here's one of the males. They are kept in separate pastures - and in separate sections of the barn as well. The males are over-amorous, and the farm would be overrun with offspring if they were allowed to fraternize with the females.

I see this one has the white face too. Maybe he is the papa to that little one.

There were lots of visitors, and the gift shop was full when I got there. I knew what I wanted, and went straight for it. That is the kind of place in which I don't dare look around too much. I want everything in sight. The alpaca products are so beautifully made, I'm always tempted. And they have toys and Christmas ornaments as well as clothing.

We had a very enjoyable afternoon.

8 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Sounds like a fun day, Bobbie! And what a great place to go shopping! Love the baby in his/her little coat!
Our plants and trees have no trouble knowing that spring hasn't arrived here as yet!

Have a great week!

Sylvia

Daryl said...

Sounds like you got what you went for and pix to boot!

Deborah Godin said...

Oh, baby alpacas - they're now on my "love" list! And someone should tell those gullible lilacs and crocuses not to believe every warm breeze that blows by!

Lisa (Mountain Photog) said...

I love the little jacket for the baby! Adorable! Sounds like a wonderful day. I had a beautiful red Alpaca cape many, many moons ago. It felt very luxurious--so warm and soft.

Anonymous said...

We are having weird weather here, too. It has been near 70 yesterday and in the 30s today and raining. I still have roses blooming! The farm sounds like a great place to visit.

ramblingwoods said...

I'm glad that you could take a ride out there before the weather turns again...Those are such cute animals. I am allergic to wool, but I don't think I would be to alpaca...Michelle

Anonymous said...

Bobbie ~ Thanks for sharing the visit. Sweet creatures! But don't you think the baby should be sporting an alpaca sweater, instead of a parka?

Our fall still lingers and although we've had some rime ice and hoarfrost, we've yet to experience a killing frost... my ivy geranium, borage and scaevola are sporting a few late blooms.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a nice day.

Paz