Friday, November 27, 2009

We're All Thankful for the Internet

Several people have expressed their thankfulness for the internet in the past few days. I have to join them in that sentiment. Blogging has certainly become a very large part of my life in the past two years, and blogging friends have come to mean so much to me. My computer has become my lifeline, as I have become less able to get out and do the things I used to do.


And I could not resist showing you another reason we have to be thankful for modern technology. Recently my son-in-law had to take a business trip to Taiwan. Life without Daddy at home is stressful for Isaac and his mom. But here is how they coped. Isn't that great?



All of us can talk about the good old days when we were young, and how we didn't have modern conveniences. But just think of today's children! Will they ever be able to understand how we managed to get along without such things? Their eyes grow wide and full of doubt just talking about the days before television. Now this?



I can remember watching the Saturday matinee, with serials like Buck Rogers, and thinking how silly the ideas were in those outlandish movies with their robots and such. Kids today would just snicker at such totally unsophisticated things.







But even today, kids do enjoy swings and rings and slides - and climbing trees. Thank God for that!

8 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Yes, it is amazing how far we've come, that's for sure. You hear lots of people talking about "the good old days" and, yes, it was a simpler time for sure. Life was not as complicated, streets were safer, kids could romp and play throughout their neighborhoods until well, after dark, we frequently left our keys in the car, the house unlocked and some of those things I feel some nostalgia for. But I have to admit that I can't imagine my life without some things these days -- the computer being a major one of those. I didn't deal with retirement very gracefully, I'm afraid and in many ways blogging was a life saver. Still, some of the simple things in life are still enjoyed, particularly by kids -- those things you mentioned, swings and slides and playgrounds. And, yes, thank God for that!

Enjoy your weekend, Bobbie!

Sylvia

kenju said...

Isaac is such a cutie pie!!

Kay said...

I am grateful for Skype since that's how we get to stay connected with our granddaughter. I love seeing kids still loving playing outdoors. There is a lot to be thankful for.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to maintain the ties that bind, keeping everyone connected. Children up this way seem to enjoy the outdoors - bike riding, scooters, walking with their families and dogs... nice to see; although, they're not out and about nearly as often as we were... way back in the 50's and 60's.

Great post, Bobbie!

Deb

Lisa (Mountain Photog) said...

Awww, how sweet! The Internet is definitely one of the greatest creations ever.

Rambling Woods said...

It has been a wonderful thing to be able to meet people from all over the world via the internet.. Your grandson is soooo cute Bobbie..

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I was attracted by your marigold flowers on the internet.

Yes, the internet did a lot of things for me.

I raised a charity drive to save separate a pair of siamese twins, I did a charity drive for Kenyan deaf, I connected with people. and the list goes on.

carmilevy said...

At least once a day, I try to stop what I'm doing and do the same thing. I shudder to think where we'd be if we didn't have this incredible connecting resource at our fingertips.

I remember when I was out of town every other week, my laptop was my lifeline to my wife and kids. We'd just turn on audio or video chat and leave it on. I felt like I was in the living room with them.