Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Mailmen - Part 2

Just wanted to tell you a little of the other side of this story.

I did call the Post Master yesterday to report what happened.`He's a very nice young man. We've met before. He apologized, of course, on behalf of whoever caused the problem, and then explained a bit of his own problem.

There is a freeze on hiring here, and he is down to seven people to deliver our mail throughout the township. He has no idea who will be replacing Gary at the end of the year, and is as concerned as we are. Whenever one of the mail people is out sick or on vacation, he tries to have others of his staff double up, but that is not always possible. He often has to have someone from another town do the route. They are not familiar with the area, and usually unhappy about the extra duty. He himself was out on Saturday, so didn't know who had been assigned to our route that day, but he promised to find out who it was and have a chat with him. I know that he will do that. But if it is someone from Wildwood, or Avalon or Sea Isle City, I can't imagine they will take it to heart.

It seems to me that Postal workers are much like so many other types of workers today - not taking much pride in their work, and just getting through it as quickly as possible and collecting their pay checks. Now, when I was a girl.....

Seriously, we really did take pride in what we did, and really earned our pay. I think it's sad that so many today don't seem to take any satisfaction from a job well done. Am I just an old fogey, or do you agree?

7 comments:

Deborah Godin said...

It does seem to me that the pride and some joy, too, has gone out of the way we work and play these days, and it's our loss!

Sylvia K said...

I agree with you, unfortunately, Bobbie. Of course, I'm an old woman, too, but I do like to think that we did have a different mindset than many younger people have today. I feel in some cases it's the workplace environment where management doesn't give a hoot about the employees as people and that attitude creates a don't give a hoot in the employees. So, it snowballs.

Daryl said...

I agree..I see it a lot .. seems as if the 'kids' today dont have any pride in what they do ..

Dianne said...

I agree with Sylvia. Back in the day there was loyalty from the place you worked and appreciation of a job well done. That doesn't happen much anymore.

Our town's post office is having the same problem and it's getting worse

I get mail for any street that sounds like mine
Large packages are left in the rain although I have a covered carport 10 feet from the mailbox

and at the PO itself they have one woman who tends to 3 stations.

they have also had hiring frozen and shifts cut

Rambling Woods said...

The mail people are having to work more hours as there have been cutbacks. They are frustrated and some will take it out on the customers...

Anonymous said...

Nope, not an old fogey at all. You're right.

Paz

Anonymous said...

p.s. we're having a problem with the new mailpersons (we have different ones, it seems) who do the same things -- like stuffing the mailbox instead of delivering mail to apartment door. They also like to live packages at door without pressing bell and giving it to us directly.....

paz