Saturday, May 16, 2009

Shadow Shot Sunday #52



Shadow Shot Sunday (Saturday in the U.S.) is hosted by Tracey from Hey Harriet.

I have been watching a few bird nests, through live cams. A hummingbird, a robin, a redtailed hawk, all on UStream, and no less than three eagles, from the Hancock Wildlife Foundation's cameras. I've watched them sitting on their eggs, the eggs hatching, and the feeding and raising of the chicks. I have enjoyed it tremendously. That's a lot of nests, but being retired, I have more time than good sense.

For today's shadow I actually took a picture off the screen of a live cam on an eagle's nest up in Hornby Island, in Canada. I think I got a pretty good shadow of the mother eagle. Her one remaining chick - if you can still call it a chick once it has reached this size - is lying half-asleep in front of her.


Then there are the three hawk chicks. One is peering over the edge of the nest at the traffic below. The nest is on a ledge of the building at Franklin Institute in Philadelphia.


And the others are in the robins' nest.



I realize the photos are not sharp and clear, but they were taken off the video screens with a point and shoot camera. The robins can be seen at:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/Robin-s-Nest. the eagles and hawks can be found by clicking on the pictures at the top of my sidebar.

23 comments:

Michele said...

Absolutely fascinating... I love watching these fellas!

Hugs♥

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Very nice shadow of the mama eagle. All the littles are growing so quickly. I can't wait to watch them learn to fly. So exciting. Lisa

Deborah Godin said...

You can almost feel the trepidation in that one hawk chick, peering over the edge of the nest into the abyss below: "Never. I am never leaving this nest!"

Casdok said...

Wow wonderful photos AND i think you have good sense!!

Judy said...

You got some great shadow pictures this way. WOW. These birds are fascinating.

Shelly said...

Nice capture of mama eagle looking right into the camera! ;)
I'm with Lisa...it will be fun to observe them as they work up the courage to leave the nest.

Sylvia K said...

These are fascinating, Bobbie! I do love the one of the mother eagle! It's been such fun watching these cams! love it! Little buggers do grow quickly, don't they?
Have a great weekend, Bobbie!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

What a fun way to spend time....we'll have to get the kids on these two sites - they'll love it!

Kay said...

This was a very clever way of getting an interesting shadow shot. Congratulations!

SandyCarlson said...

Gorgeous. So well done. God bless.

Jeri ~ said...

Wow, very impressive shots! Thanks for sharing.

Dianne said...

Mama eagle is looking at you!
love the baby peeking over the nest

Hey Harriet said...

The eagle in the first pic sure does look like a very proud mamma. And a very protective one! I wouldn't dare get too close! I like her wonky shadow :)

GalleryJuana said...

Glad you took a screen shot of both nests. Mothers always look so majestic and strong.

dianasfaria.com said...

Wow! Bobbie, these are amazing shots. What an experience to be able to witness this thanks to technology eh?

Daryl said...

Excellent screenshots ..who said you are technically challenged?!

Raven said...

How amazing that we can watch things as a daily matter that were once truly rare experiences. Cool shot.

storyteller's other blog said...

Wonderful! I wish I had time to spend finding such things to share and I'm glad YOU take the time to pass such views along ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Unknown said...

I think they're pretty good for how you got them, bobbie!

Wow. Look at that eagle. Amazing.

Chrissy said...

I see someone else is a fan of the Hancock eagles. Too bad about baby Echo but Hope sure is thriving.

Gina said...

What a stunning bird!..very interesting SS :)

maryt/theteach said...

Except for your photos, some of us would never see such marvelous things! :)

sunnymama said...

Wonderful pictures! So interesting and lovely :)