Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Update On the Birds

In case you haven't had a chance to visit the sites recently, Here's the latest.


The two little eaglets in the Hornby Island nest are doing great. The one that hatched so much earlier is, obviously, much larger, but doesn't seem to be bullying its brother/sister. The parents are very attentive. All is well on that front. the chicks are active and noisy.


In Sidney, the three little ones can hardly be called "chicks" any longer. They are all very large. The two first hatched are really immense! They aren't pretty any more, but awkward and gangly and all over one another. Their beaks have developed quite a bit. They are eating for themselves much of the time, although the parents do still feed them some.


The third eagle's nest, Delta, is the one in which the two eggs were left alone much of the time. We rarely saw the adult pair. Eventually even the eggs disappeared. However, the cameras there seem to have been moved to a new site. It is a very small nest. I do not know if there are any eggs, but an eagle is sitting on it each time I go there. It is possible that it is an immature pair and there are no eggs, or perhaps there are but we haven't spotted any yet. It is not the large, carefully put together sort of nest we usually see. We just don't know.


The red tailed hawk nest in Philadelphia seems to be doing fine. I don't have a picture today because the camera was not operating. Those three chicks have grown very big and are usually very active. When they are sleeping, the adults often leave them alone now, but come back to feed them regularly. I get the impression that camera may be running only during business hours at the Franklin Institute, where the nest is located on a ledge.

6 comments:

Ralph said...

Just like kids, they grow fast.
Ralph

Judy said...

Hi Bobbie, This is so interesting and great pictures. I am fascinated with red tailed hawks, too. My girl's father thought if you found a feather from a red tailed hawk it was good luck. I love your azalea. It is just beautiful!

Daryl said...

Havent had time to check these myself so thanks for the updates

Deborah Godin said...

The only one I've been following is the Hornby nest, and I have yet to see the adult feed the smaller chick. I'm assuming it's gotten some food or it would likely have starved by now, but the larger one sure gets to the front of the line, and is the squeaky wheel. I know some songbirds have a sense of needing to feed all the open mouths in their nest, but I wonder if eagles only respond to the one making noise and begging. Come on, little guy!!

Sylvia K said...

Thanks for the updates, Bobbie, I was out of town yesterday, so I'm playing catch up today! Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Unknown said...

Bobbie,
I love this piece of your writing in this post:

"In Sidney, the three little ones can hardly be called "chicks" any longer. They are all very large. The two first hatched are really immense! They aren't pretty any more, but awkward and gangly and all over one another."

Reminds me of the fifth and six graders at my school. :-)

I really enjoy these eagle updates of yours. Truly made my afternoon!

Hugs,
Gina