Sunday, July 20, 2008

Ignorance


I thought a while about what to call this post. I guess there's no other word for it.
Please take a look at Linda's blog, these are the days - her post called A Show of Ignorance.

Her post concerns Michael Savage, whose recent rant on air included statements like, "Now you want me to tell you my opinion on autism?...a fraud, a racket" also, "...the illness du jour is autism....it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out."


In the same broadcast, he addressed asthma and minority children, saying, they got "extra welfare if they were disabled..."

Apparently Mr. Savage knows more about physical and mental illness than our doctors know.

On Linda's post you can find a link leading to a list of stations carrying Mr. Savage's syndicated program. You can also see and hear a video of his remarks. You may feel you can call or write to the stat
ions airing his brand of venom.

Thank heaven, there don't seem to be any of those stations in NJ - but MD and DE carry him, and that's too close for my comfort.

9 comments:

Casdok said...

I can understand why you had to think about what to call this post. Not sure i would have been as polite!!

bobbie said...

Casdok, you are amazing. You always show up with a comment at the right moment.

I stole the new motto from your blog.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link to that great post, Bobbie.

I left a comment which included the following two cents:

My daughter was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when she was 16. One of the crisis clinicians in charge of deciding if she should be hospitalized told us that bipolar disorder was "the latest fad diagnosis". I was fit to be tied. A mental health "professional" said this!

Morons are everywhere, even among those they are attempting to help. The fact that this Savage guy reaches 8.25 million listeners a week makes him a dangerous moron. Ugh.

Will try to do my part.

Linda Murphy said...

Hi Bobbie,

I appreciate your bringing this to greater attention. I was sputtering when I initially read it, along with choice words that I don't normally use.

My best friend said it's too bad ignorance isn't painful.

Thank you again and I love the think differently about autism..need to check that out!

Ralph said...

Well there is a word for guys like that - unfortunately I swore to keep my post and comments at the family level or I would tell you. Don't get me wrong I am no Saint- I know and use the word often, but a promise is a promise.
I read your family post as well - it made me laugh and cry at the same time. I recently started a series like that so my kids would know some of the things I experienced. It is fun (and sometimes painful) reliving some of those stories. Anyway, that was a great post and I just wanted to tell you that.
Ralph

bobbie said...

Thanks, Ralph. I really appreciate your comments.

Judy said...

I was so shocked when I read this. The guy is a fool. Why do they allow this stuff to be put on the air? I bet he will have lots of backlash over this.

Anonymous said...

Having worked with kids with autism, this is absolutely a travesty. These kids suffer so much and will probably never be able to lead a normal life. Shame on him.

Shelly said...

I'm gasping. Perhaps we could find out if there are commercial sponsors that support his broadcast. We could then contact them and let them know that we will never buy their products or services...and we will all blog about it - this dreadful person needs to be unemployed.