Wednesday, July 30, 2008

They're All Out of Step But Me


Didn't realize how out of step I am with TV viewers until I heard someone the other day reading the Emmy nominations. After at least six different categories had been read, I had heard only two shows named that I have ever watched. (Raisin in the Sun, and a Masterpiece Theater show) As they moved on to other categories I did hear several that I watch or have watched, which were light comedy. I like to tune in to that sort around bedtime, when I prefer not to watch more dramatic, stressful programs. The heavy stuff I can record to watch the next day.

There was a time, a very long time ago, when it would have worried me - not a lot, but at least a little - that I wasn't into what everyone else was. Maybe it's the privilege of age or something. More likely just me being me. I could care less today. It does bother me though, when a series that becomes my favorite of the moment is discontinued, but they continue to show us those that I consider real junk (to put it politely). As for the award shows themselves - I'll pass on them too, unless I know one of my favorite comedians will be hosting. Then I'll give it a try, at least for a short time. But it's usually disappointing because of the format.

I've mentioned a couple of shows here in my blog that were "coming attractions" at the time, and that I had high hopes for. I wasn't very pleased with either of them. I'm not going to suggest any more until after the fact, and unless I'm really impressed with them. - The strictly online program I talked about, In Their Boots is not included in this list. That one is not "entertainment" as such, and I think it was pretty impressive. I saw it before recommending it.

I lean pretty heavily toward PBS. And in the daytime, I really enjoy funny old game shows like Match Game. I do enjoy CBS' Sunday Morning. My favorite part of it? - that last minute or two when they announce, "We leave you this morning in..." and take us to some beautiful, peaceful site with flowers or a stream or animals quietly grazing or bees buzzing. The photography is superb. It would be completely worthwhile just to have that last, wordless minute or two.

As for movies, I just don't go any more. Couldn't sit still through a two hour show, I'm sure, and haven't the money anyway. Haven't seen previews of many I'd even want to see. (It's called, being an old fogey.) DVD's are wonderful. I can watch while I eat, talk when I feel like it if someone else is with me, take off my shoes, and if I don't like it I can just push a button and turn it off. Who could ask for better than that? And if it really stinks, we can make fun of the actors and/or the lines. And if it's really, really good, I can always turn off the ringer on the telephone and let Voice Mail take the calls.

Gee - that sounds as if I spend most of my time with TV or DVD's. Not so. Depends mostly on the weather. Even when I'm stuck in the house, I spend more time on the computer than watching the small screen. I am guilty of spending too much time right here on my computer. Sometimes have to be reminded to eat. Although you'd never know it to look at me, eating is definitely not my favorite thing to do. I don't think I've been hungry for about five years or so - except once, when I was in hospital and hadn't eaten in forty-eight hours. Then, even hospital food tasted good.

My computer has become my life-line, my source of news and information, my entertainment, and most important, my connection to family and friends. It also gives me opportunity to express myself. Ten years ago, I wouldn't have thought it possible. I wanted nothing to do with computers. I was forced to use one at work, but resisted it whenever I could. There are lots of things I still hate about them, or rather, about what people do with them, but today I would be lost without one.
Thank you, Kitty and Mike, for introducing me to cyber-world.

10 comments:

Cliff said...

Well, I'll be back as soon as I find a razor blade or a rope.
:) Yep, I'm the same way. We have a Directv and they have a show called 'Sunrise Earth' that you would like. No talking just High Def photography of nature. It's always taken at dawn. It goes on for an hour or so.
I quit watching regular TV when the actors got so self centered and then they started thinking I cared what their views of society were. I don't.
Also the reality show make me ill. I'm living reality. I don't need to watch it.

bobbie said...

Oh boy - do I hate "reality" shows! Some people's idea of reality is pretty skewed. Won't watch them.
"Sunrise Earth" sounds great, but I don't have Direct, I have DishTV.

Bear Naked said...

I so agree with you about the TV programs that are being produced now.
At the beginning of each season I think it can't get any worse and then unfortunately it does.
Imagine what it will be like in five years time.

My computer is a lifeline to my family.
With both my son's and daughter's families living almost five hours away; without the computer I would not be able to be a part of their daily lives.

Bear((( )))

Lisa said...

I'm so far out of the loop when people talk about the current shows on TV that I can't even see the loop. I keep telling myself I'm going to start watching the popular ones... for entertainment and to know what's going on as everyone else does, but I just never do.

I don't blame you... the computer is a far better distraction. You can go where you want, keep in touch with people, play games, whatever... you get to choose.

pink dogwood said...

I stopped watching tv when I had my daughter in March of 97 - haven't gotten back ever since. If there is any time left in the evenings and weekends after all the work is done, I either go for long walks or read a book or catch up on my favorite blogs. I do occasionally watch movies from netflix though.

Dianne said...

I will admit to enjoying some junk TV - I just find it so relaxing. I can't remember the last time I watched TV live though, I DVR everything. It's amazing how a 60 minute show is really 30 minutes LOL

I love CBS' Sunday Morning - they cover so much art and oddities and everything is presented with such syle and reserve. That show even manages to make Ben Stein's segment seem classy ;)

Unknown said...

And how lucky for your family and friends (and blog-friends like me) that you took the plunge into the cyberworld!

I really admire you for it. I know many people (some of them teachers!), much younger than you who don't know how to send an email. And isn't it fun? I'm loving blogging. I've "met" several wonderful people in the blogosphere who have enriched my life and taught me things that amaze me.

And you have so much to share. I am so grateful that you do.

Peace & love,
Gina

Unknown said...

P.S.

I had to comment on how cute it is to see Cliff's cute boy face, followed by your cute-girl face. Adorable. :-)

Also, I'm worried about Singing Bear. I'm sure you are too but having no way to know how he is doing makes me feel a bit out of sorts. One of the sad things about blogging, I guess.

bobbie said...

Yes, I worry about Singing Bear too. I keep going to his old site, hoping - but he probably wouldn't start up the same one anyway. I hope maybe he'll surface one of these days, in comments if nothing else.

Judy said...

I don't know many sitcoms anymore but I do watch reality shows sometimes, like Survivor. I like Jeopardy and usually watch it at night but I do watch PBS, CNN, and Fox News. I don't watch award shows. Like you, I spend a lot of time at the computer. Before I retired I was on the computer all day at work. I run to look up stuff on the computer all the time.