Tuesday, April 15, 2008

LIBRARY LADY


I seem to talk a lot about my youngest, Kitty, on my blog. Probably because she is a fellow blogger.



I do have two other daughters - and a son - and they are pretty great, too! At least, I think so.


It always amuses me. We go to the supermarket, or walk down the street. We could be on a nature trail, in the woods, at the beach, a mall, the zoo. No matter where we are, sooner or later I hear from someone, "Ma, isn't that the nice little girl from the library?" or "Look, Suzi! Isn't that the library lady?" My second daughter is famous - locally, that is. It reminds me of the little girl in the comic strip, One Big Happy. The child talks about Library Lady, Playground Lady, and Cafeteria Lady. However, in Rita's case, she is often referred to as "that nice little girl" in the library. She is petite, and she has the kind of face that will always look younger than her years. And yes, she is very, very nice - always ready to help a patron.


She's nice to me, too. I see more of Rita than any of my other children. Rita lives and works within a half mile of my house. We eat lunch together most days. And Rita is always willing to tackle anything I ask her to do for me, around the house or in the yard. She's good company.


Rita bought the house we used to live in. I'm not sure that I did her any favor, selling it to her. When I made the move to the little house I live in now, I left behind an awful lot of things she may not need. And she now faces all the usual - and a few unusual - homeowner woes. Who knew that the pear tree would lose a branch in a wind storm, doing enough damage that she now needs a new roof? Who knew that she would need to replace the hotwater tank, which happens to be located in an almost unreachable spot under the kitchen counter?


Being the Library Lady, Rita is our walking Dewey Decimal file. If she doesn't know the answer, she knows how to find it for us. She's ver
y good at crossword puzzles, or playing Upwords, or Scrabble. And I still think she should go on Jeopardy one of these days. Here she is, playing Upwords with her sisters.


She is very happy to be Library Lady. The people she works with at our local branch are exceptionally nice people. Come to think, it's been my experience that most people who work in libraries are nice people! Must be that they are happy in their work.



Hey! Isn't that the nice little girl from the library on the back of that motorcycle?


6 comments:

Minnesotablue said...

Isn't it great to have a daughter so close by? She sounds like a great person. Some of my fondest memories are of time spent in our old library and knowing the "library" lady was always there to encourage me to read.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

This is such a wonderful post. What a nice tribute. Your daughter sounds like a very sweet person. I wish I lived closer to my mother so we could spend more time together. Once a week is all I can manage at this distance though.

KG said...

Heh - is that you on the front of the motorcycle?

By the way, you should stop by my blog - I just gave you an AWARD!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this. It's marvellous for you to have kids you are so proud of.

When I was still at school I wanted to be a librarian. Reading this, I wish I'd stuck at it!

Unknown said...

Librarians are among the coolest people.

Even the matronly library lady with the evil eye that used to run the library in my old (U.S.) hometown was okay. She always complimented me on taking good care of the books I borrowed. That always meant a lot to me because she rarely gave people compliments. If you were nice to her, though, she would go out of her way to help.

You and your daughter are lucky to have each other. Nice post.

Jo said...

I adore librarians! Even some of the crankier librarians from my childhood were, I discovered, misunderstood...they'd just light up talking about books or hunting down a rare title for me.

What a lovely post, your daughter sounds delightful. Very cute that she's known as the little girl from the library :) You know, you'd have an awesome study group to prep you for Jeopardy.