Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sleeping Santa


Once upon a time, oh, about 40 years ago more or less, I went to a class at our local library and learned to do reverse glass painting. It was one of several craft classes I attended there. A fun way to spend an hour or so while the kids
were in school. I learned how to make corn husk dolls, and a variety of other things as well. I think this was my first reverse glass painting, and then I went on to Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy, and when I got good at it I did some butterflies and flowers. But this was my first. Click to enlarge, of coursef. It's getting a bit shabby these days, but somehow it has survived. We bring it out every Christmas. The poor thing is in a cheap old frame, which is much the worse for wear. Each year I tell myself I really should get a decent frame, and transfer the glass and the backing to the new one. But then I get caught up in whatever is going on for the holiday, and I never do it.

So it remains in its sorry state, along with the "Christmas dog" that my oldest made when she was very small. That consists of a piece of orange construction paper cut into an irregular shape, which we put on the tree every year. And then there's the construction paper star my youngest made in kindergarten, with the gold glitter outlining it and making a smiling face inside of it. We hang that every year too.



This is my tree this year.


I really can't put up a tree any more. Just too work-intensive. But some ornaments just have to be displayed. It's a very nostalgic time of year, isn't it?








12 comments:

Dawn Fine said...

What a great reverse glass painting you did..love the little tree..

kenju said...

I've never done any painting on glass, but I would like to know how to do it. I always wanted to paint on the bottom half of the window in my guest bathroom, so I wouldn't have to hang a curtain there.

Anonymous said...

I haven't put the tree up yet this year, and at this rate, I don't know that I will either - I don't know why they have to make them so heavy. Seems to me a lighter tree in a sturdier stand woud be they way to go, but mine is just the oposite, heavy sections of tree with a flimsy stand!

Dianne said...

a beautiful creation!!

I love your tree

dianasfaria.com said...

I think the old frame adds a special beauty to your lovely painting.
I also admire your humble tree too.

Daryl said...

My friends who have a tree each year also put up ancient ornaments .. her husband who is now 73 made a Santa out of construction paper in kindergarten and it gets a spot on the tree front and center each year ... gotta believe 'they' dont make construction paper like they used to .. I cant imagine one made today lasting 65 years!

:-Daryl

Sylvia K said...

I love your Christmas things and know you enjoy the memories they bring! I do hope you have a lovely Christmas! I'm getting more excited by the day and I'm counting the hours -- nearly until my oldest son arrives for the holiday. It's been a long three years!

Margaret Cloud said...

I think the best things displayed for Christmas are the ones our children make. We really lol at most of them, but when we think how hard it was for them to make it. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

Mom said...

Old Christmas ornaments are the best. They come with so many memories and memories are one of the best parts of this time of year. I love your old Santa.

Kathie Brown said...

Bobbie, you have hidden talents! And yes, this is a nostalgic time of year and I am often caught off guard by the flood of memories!

Kathie Brown said...

BTW, I have just made my frist concession to age and convenience and let my mother buy me my first artificial tree!

Hey Harriet said...

Your glass painting looks sweet. You should try & find the time to re-frame it. Maybe leave it out after Christmas & do it when things are not so busy. So then you'll have it in a new spiffy looking frame for next year :)

Hey I don't put a tree up either. I thought I was the only person who didn't. I'm not! Yay! :D