Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Australia's Harmony Day

I just read Tracey's post at Hey Harriet (yes, the same blog that brings you Shadow Shot Sunday) concerning Harmony Day, which is celebrated in Australia on March 21st. What a great idea!

Their government site about Harmony Day says, "It is about dealing with cultural, racial and religious intolerance. We do this by promoting respect, fairness and a sense of belonging for everyone." I love the slogan: EVERYONE BELONGS.

This day has been celebrated for ten years in Australia. I think it's really a shame that it is not known and celebrated world wide. It wouldn't hurt all of us to be mindful of this on March 21st.

.................................................

Deborah suggested in her comment that we could start a "wave" among bloggers to promote this idea. Wouldn't that be great? How about mentioning it in your blog? How about sending the idea to change.gov ?

9 comments:

Lisa said...

You're right. It should be celebrated worldwide. Wouldn't hurt any one of us to put this thought in the forefront of our minds...

I like it. Harmony Day.

Hey Harriet said...

That's so great that you're spreading the word about Harmony Day. Maybe your Government will someday mark it as a day to be celebrated also! It's especially wonderful for children. Schools are very involved in the day and children are given the opportuntiy to learn a lot about different cultures in fun and interesting ways. It's nice that kids learn of these important things at a young age and grow to be respectful of all people. Yay for Harmony Day!

kenju said...

We sure need to celebrate that here in the U.S.

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea, maybe we can start a "wave" around the blogging world! And the perfect day - the day of earthly/celestial balance, the spring equinox - no accident I'm sure!

Daryl said...

What a nice idea ... I will play along and post this on the 21st

Sylvia K said...

Hey, Bobbie, what a great idea! I have to leave right now for the Jump Start class where I volunteer, but as soon as I get home I will put together a post about Harmony Day. And I LOVE the slogan, Everyone Belongs! Thanks so much for writing this, I knew about it, but it slipped my mind until I read your post -- that seems to happen a lot these days. Thank goodness there is always someone to remind me!!! Thanks!

bowledover said...

Hi Bobbie I too will join you all in blogging the words 'Everyone Belongs' on March 21 and Austrailia's Harmony Day.
They ain't heavy they are my, mother, brother, sister, aunt, cousin.

Jim said...

It's great to see you spreading the Harmony Day message far and wide, Bobbie. We have been celebrating the day in Australia for the past ten years and it gets bigger every year. Celebrations are encouraged in the workplace, where people bring in international dishes to share with their workmates. Many wear orange, the colour of Harmony Day, and some dress up in national costumes/colours of other cultures. Cheers, J Bar.

Cath said...

Lovely idea. Have a great Harmony Day.
Over from Daryl's at Out & About in NYC.