Friday, March 27, 2009

More from Garapata Park



This week for Sky Watch, I did not post my own pictures, but used several taken by my daughter, Kitty. She visited Garapata State Park, twenty minutes from her home, and she took 20 or 30 photos. Every one of them is more beautiful than the last. I want to show you just a few more.



This is just one reason why I would so love to be living in California.



I can remember a time when I used to say that I didn't really like white calla lilies - Easter lilies - because they are too stiff, and reminded me of death. That, of course, was before I had seen them growing wild like this. This picture on the left was taken from the spot where she ate her lunch.




Kit loves callas, and she took quite a few pictures of them. I don't blame her. I'm sure I would have done the same if I were there. They must have made a spectacular show. They have had quite a lot of rain out there lately, and that is what has brought them into bloom.





They seem to go on forever in this canyon.





Kitty and Mike live fairly near this park. "Twenty minutes from Paradise" is how she put it. Of course, the callas are not the only attraction. The hills, the rocks, the beach, the ocean views - all are spectacular.







And there are other flowers to be found there.







This, of course, is wild iris.













The rocks themselves are beautiful.









The beach is lovely. The winds create sand sculptures such as this one, sitting on the rocks. There are endless things to be discovered on the beach and among the rocks, and endless sights to be seen in a place like this.







"The rains make amazing things happen" as my daughter says.


I hope you enjoy her pictures as much as I do. I wish that she would show them herself on Sky Watch, or on a photo blog, but she says she doesn't have time, and always tells me to use them myself. Both she and her husband are really good with the camera.

16 comments:

kenju said...

I sure would like to spend some time there!! What a gorgeous place. YOu're right about the rocks.

The only time I ever saw callas growing wild or in nature was on the top of a mountain in Kauai, HI, and they were growing by a public toilet, along with blue hydrangeas. I couldn't believe my eyes!!

Daryl said...

Wonderful sun filled shots ...

Judy said...

The pictures are all just beautiful but I love that Iris. I love any kind of purple flower. They are my favorites. My son used to live in California and loved the wild flowers growing there, too.

Anonymous said...

Paradise indeed! I would so love to scramble in that creek and get up close and personal with those rocks!

Kitty said...

When I got married and the photographer saw my (calla) bouquet, she said, "Oh, how nice, dear - you choose the death flower."

You didn't put in 2 that are my favorites - the leaves and the orange lichen rock.

Sylvia K said...

These are all absolutely gorgeous! I wish I could go there. Thanks so much for sharing them, Bobbie!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Bobbie: What a beautiful series of photos. Your daughter is very talented.

Mojo said...

Oh I'd go nuts in a place like this. I've never seen callas growing in the wild before, and certainly not as thick as these! A day here would be at least an 8Gb memory card full of material. Probably more if it was a long day.

SandyCarlson said...

That is really a gorgeous place. As Mojo said, it would take a good-sized memory card to spend the day there. Those wild lilies are wonderful.

maryt/theteach said...

These are beautiful, tranquil shots, bobbie! Thanks for sharing them and tell your daughter I loved them! :)

Dawn Fine said...

Bobbie,
Looks like a beautiful place..wonderful flowers..
thanks for taking me to california.

Linda Murphy said...

Such beauty! These photos are so peaceful and delightful that I want to put them on my desk and look at them all day! So lovely.

Kay said...

I love calla lilies and irises. I've never seen calla lilies in the wild. I'll have to take a trip to Kauai to see them.

Happily Retired Gal said...

What a marvelous spot to visit! All the photos are lovely ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Kathie Brown said...

What a pretty place. I do like calla lilies. They have a simple elegance to me. Very nice shots.

Rosebud Collection said...

What beautiful pictures..Thanks for sharing them..