Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Dr. Seuss




Yes, it was Dr. Seuss' birthday this week. The real Dr. Seuss, that is, not my stupid plant named for him.
(Photos courtesy of Scroogle and Wikipedia)



I can't believe you want to see it again. I deliberately did NOT take another picture of it because I thought you'd be sick of it by now. But since I had a couple of requests, I snapped a real quickie - crazy angle to try to get in all of its meandering bits and pieces, very bad lighting, etc. - but here it is again.


Yes, I realize I will have to prune it back. I've just let it go as it wants to, out of curiosity. It has several more new shoots sprouting near the bottom. The thing is ugly as sin. And some of its longer branches are so thin that you can hardly see them in a photo.


But, remember what it looked like last August, when the humming birds were visiting it regularly? I know these plants are easy to find in the nurseries each summer, but I just hate throwing them away when the cold weather arrives. It's the same for me with the poinsettias at Christmas. I just don't want to toss them out. But they are so hard to nurse through until the next season.


Well anyway, here it is. When I tried keeping one through the winter once before, after I put it outside again, it died. It probably needs to be re-introduced to the outside world more gradually then I did it that time.

7 comments:

kenju said...

The sun will fry all those new, tender shoots, Bobbie. Can you put it under a covered area when you first put it out?

If you prune back some of the long shoots, new ones will grow full at the pot level.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, Bobbie, about pruning it, I mean. I think it might be one of those things you just have to let go, just to see how big, long, wild, crazy etc it will really get! Of course, that's easy for me to say, it's not taking over MY space - lol!!

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

It reminds me of bamboo. Just keeps growing and spreading. I wouldn't prune it either. It is like a science project to see how far it will grow. You'll no when the time is right to prune. Lisa

Daryl said...

I thought that plants with runners/shoots need to be cut back at the end of the season

bobbie said...

Oh, I cut it way back at the end of the season. All of this is new growth over the winter in the house.

KG said...

I say you just let it grow all over your house! You know how there are those "crazy cat ladies," right? YOu can be the "crazy plant lady!" It'll be fantastic!

Kay said...

Thanks for posting this, Bobbie! What gorgeous flowers it has. It really does grow big, doesn't it?