Friday, March 6, 2009

More Random Ramblings

We do all remember Daylight Savings starts Sunday, right? A memo to that effect was sent to everyone at the library where my daughter, Rita works. One person answered it with, "Why can't they have us set our clocks ahead during the middle of a work day? Then we wouldn't lose an hour sleep and could get off work an hour early!!"


Is anyone else bothered by messages, recorded or otherwise, left on Voice Mail by people who rattle things off so fast that you can barely understand them? You can't quite catch the name they give, and it's anyone's guess about their phone number. Even when you call an office and get an actual person on the line, they so often say a name so quickly you can't catch it. I like to know to whom I'm speaking. In fact, I write it down for future reference.


I was alarmed the other day when I got a letter I had written to my friend in a nursing home, returned to me with something scribbled on the envelope that I couldn't read at all. I thought something had happened to her. It was OK. I called and learned she was fine. Guess I never will figure out why it came back.


Did you know there are 540,000 words in the English language?! I learned that from a video Sylvia had on her blog the other day. Wow! I wonder how many of them I know?


I have my "Dr. Seuss" plant. Lisa has her bamboo in the back yard. It's going crazy and trying to take over the whole property. It can be a real problem, too, sprouting up under her porch and coming through the boards. Nothing seems able to kill it. Anyone know of a way to get rid of it? - I actually planted some in the yard at my old house - back in a corner, to hide the mess in a neighbor's yard. It did that, but has since spread far into the yard despite frequent mowing.


Well, back to visiting Sky Watch posts, and making comments. Here are a couple more chicken jokes.




I think I've forgotten which ones I have put into my blog. Better take time to figure that out one of these days.




7 comments:

Deborah Godin said...

I've gotten to the point where I stop people on the phone who "speed talk" and ask them in a friendly tone to repeat them selves, slowly. I had one woman actually aopolgize to me. I told her it was okay, she says the same thing over and over, so it's hard not to just rip through it and not realize the other person hasn't a clue! We ended up having a laugh, and I'll bet she was careful after that - for a while at least!

Ralph said...

Okay - you have to let us know how many of the 540,000 words you know.
Ralph

Unknown said...

I can't believe daylight savings is here already. I like it when it gets dark earlier ... but maybe I am the minority.

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Rita works with a very smart person.
I am very much bothered by those messages. I will listen several times. If I can't make out the number, oh well, they can call back.
That is scary. I am everything is okay with your friend.
I'm sure you know a lot of the words in the English language. Me on the other hand don't know many and the ones I do know I can't spell:o)
Yes please. If anyone know's how to kill it, I would appreciate it.
Gotta love the chickens.
This was fun. I really enjoyed this one. Thanks Bobbie.

Sylvia K said...

Great post! as always, Bobbie! Love the chickens! I've had the same problem everyone else has with people on the phone. Just so many squirrely things going on these days, hard to keep up! I was going to say enjoy your weekend, but hell, we just have one long weekend these days, don't we?

Linda Murphy said...

We don't have Daylight Savings in AZ, but it affects our phone calls with our family back East as they will go to a three hour time difference now. I like the work day clocks ahead solution!

I killed a bamboo plant a month or two ago-however, we have a million broad leaf weeds in the backyard that I have to tend to this weekend, along with crabgrass in our desert rocks. So, I wish my horrible green thumb would extend to them, but they seem to live on and on and on.

kenju said...

You've hit upon one of my pet peeves: people who leave messages on voice mail as if they were in a speed-talking contest (especially when they are leaving phone numbers). I sometimes have to listen to messages 3-4 times!