Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mom

I read Sylvia's post this morning, which is an ad for motherhood, and for some reason an incident popped into my head.

It must have been about 1970 or thereabouts. We went to church one Sunday. Went to the guitar mass because we all preferred to hear the teenagers playing and singing so enthusiastically, rather than the traditional organ and that one priest who droned on and on. We sat in the front row because the little ones get so restless if they can't see what's going on. The guitar mass was always held in the auditorium rather than the church- because the current clergy just wanted the kids out of the way, I think.

There was a visiting priest saying the mass. He was great. We really enjoyed the homily, so after mass we went back to speak with him and thank him. When he greeted us, he said, "Oh yes. You were the ones sitting up front with ALL THOSE CHILDREN!" He looked around, and said, "But there are only four."

Yes. It just SEEMED like more.

12 comments:

Rosebud Collection said...

I always enjoyed the guitar mass too..but then we moved here and they didn't have it..had to sit in the "cry room" with the kids..Now tell me, can you picture Jesus putting us there?..

Cliff said...

Once on a trip down south we had some of that homily. I didn't like it but I know some do.


i know, just kidding.

Cute story. Funny how memories all of a sudden pop into you head.

bobbie said...

No, Rosebud, I don't think Jesus was the sort who would banish anyone to a "cry room". Of course kids cry there. They're bored to death.
When my husband died, I wanted the kids and their guitars at the funeral mass, and they wanted to be there. The pastor told me they had exams and couldn't make it. The kids told me afterwards that wasn't true, and they were upset that they hadn't been allowed to be there. They loved my husband.

Gee, Cliff, I think homily is delicious!

Daryl said...

I a sure there was many a time when it seemed to you there were more then 4 .. great story/memory, thanks for sharing, Bobbie

Dawn Fine said...

Bobbie,
I am amazed all the time by your memory..I cant remember what I did a few days ago let alone..many years ago...
anyway..nice story...

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your story, Bobbie, and some of the gritty comments, too!

Kay said...

What a shame that pastor didn't see fit to have the kids and their music for your husband's funeral. He's missing a great piece of joy that he should be promoting rather than hiding.

Sylvia K said...

There were indeed times when it seemed as though my four had suddenly morphed into eight -- or more. And I don't beleive Jesus would have banished anyone to the cry room and, yep, I like homily, too. Everyone is in great shape this morning!!

bobbie said...

I can't remember what I did yesterday either, but remember what I did 50 or 60 years ago, clear as can be.

It's no wonder I'm no longer a Catholic, given some of the things I met, working with and socializing with members of the clergy. I met some really wonderful ones along the way, but they were definitely in the minority.

I loved working with the young people though. That's where you find real enthusiasm and dedication.

kenju said...

I also like casual church services, and especially the ones where children are welcomed and cherished!

KG said...

*chuckle*

I tried to take Sumo to church at Christmas ... we went to the "children's service." He lasted 15 seconds before he started screaming bloody murder and i had to haul him away.

Anonymous said...

Clever reply ... entertaining memory!
Hugs and blessings,