Monday, February 2, 2009

Poetry

My youngest, Kitty, is having a full month in February. she is doing a poetry reading, and is also conducting a poetry workshop to benefit Isaac's pre-school. I had placed all the details on my blog earlier today, and it made her a bit nervous. Please forgive an over-enthusiastic mother. A few of you made nice comments, and I'll pass them on to her.

I'm still going to try to get her to let me print some of her poetry soon.


Another daughter, Rita, just informed me I missed Langston Hughes' birthday, February 1st.
Well, I can rectify that at least. Here is a poem by Langston Hughes.

Dreams

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
that cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.


Poem: www.PoemHunter.com


9 comments:

Daryl said...

A wonderful tribute both to Mr Hughes on his birthday, belated but still said, and to the gloriousness that is winter

Sylvia K said...

I love it! and I love Langston Hughes! Thanks so much for posting this!

Kitty said...

was also Galway Kinnell's birthday

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Kitty will do fine. When we love something, it shows. And because of this people will love it too. Or at least appreicate it.

I do like this poem. Lisa

Unknown said...

I think that's the first adult poem I ever committed to memory. Thanks for posting it. It brought me back to when I first discovered I loved poetry - which was perhaps in the third grade.

Best of luck to Kitty on the poetry reading and workshop. Sounds exciting!

Kay said...

This is such a beautiful poem. Thank you so much for posting it. It's a great thought to take into the day.

Lisa said...

Awww. It was so sweet to have you post about her reading, but I can relate to her and would have been nervous too. ;)

I hope she finds the courage to let you blog about her and her poetry soon. I'll be looking forward to it.

Kathie Brown said...

I didn't know that Langston Hughes' birthday was today! Mine is later this month and I have this poem in my header!

Linda Murphy said...

This is one of my favorite poems and so glad to reread it here.

I'd love to read her poetry and you can never be too enthusiastic, right? At least in a mother's opinion. Just let her know that she will find many encouraging ears here too!