Monday, June 1, 2009

Alpaca Farm

I haven't been going out and about very much lately, and really wasn't feeling too well for a couple of days. But on Saturday, it started as such a pretty day, I really couldn't resist taking a ride. I headed out, intending to make the usual rounds of West Cape May and Cape May Point, but as I crossed the bridge I suddenly remembered the Alpaca Farm, so at the foot of the bridge on the West Cape May side, I turned down New England Road.


Lisa had told me about the farm quite a while ago. In fact, I believe she posted about it after her first visit. Her pictures were great. I had scouted it out to learn just where it is, but that was a week day, and it is only open to the public on weekends.


I wish I'd had this picture a week ago, when Carmi's subject for Thematic Photographic was "signs". Bet not many of you have seen this sign before. There's a long, lovely one-car-wide lane leading back from New England Road to the gorgeous house. I was a little hesitant to stop in front of it, thinking I might have made a mistake. This didn't look like any farmhouse I'd ever seen.


But a gentleman popped out of the front door. He had seen me coming, and waved me in. He explained that their store was around back. They sell fleece and yarn and items made of alpaca. He went on to say that I could cross the fields to the barn, off to the side. That's what I wanted to see.


The distance to the barn and pens was rather daunting for me and my cane. The rolling walker would have been useless on this terrain. But I took my time, and I made it just in time to see the alpacas prancing out of the barn into the morning sunshine. What a delight!


At first they seemed a bit shy, but as I stood there, I spoke to these sweet animals, and they began to come over to me.


I found this guy pretty comical. He stared at me for quite a while. I'm not sure what he expected of me, or if he just found me as fascinating as I found him.




I really enjoyed my brief visit, but soon became very tired, standing there. I had intended to take a look into the store, but it was not to be on this visit. I found my way back to the car, and headed home again. I will most certainly return when I can.


Thanks, Lisa, for telling me about the farm, and making me want to see it for myself after viewing your photos. Next time my grandson comes to see me, if it's good weather, that's where we're going first.

5 comments:

Judy said...

I bet your grandson will love this place. I would love to take TW somewhere like this. What a great place to visit. Your pictures are wonderful.

Kay said...

Thanks for taking us along on this fun trip, Bobbie. The alpaca looks really cute.

Deborah Godin said...

such adorable critters! I have a special interest in Old vs. New World camels, their history is fascinating!

kenju said...

I'd love to see them in person, Bobbie. Thanks for showing us - they look adorable.

carmilevy said...

You meet the nicest people when you take the road less travelled.

I need to get back to New England. Growing up in Montreal, the entire region was a regular destination for my family. I miss the people-friendly attitude of the place. You've captured that spirit here so richly!