Saturday, October 24, 2009

Appalachia

You may have noticed on my sidebar that I am concerned with ending the big coal companies' practice of mountaintop removal. This practice is a very serious danger to the environment and to all human beings and other life forms that happen to live in coal mining regions.

Coal company executives have long been bullying their way through life without regard for their own workers health and safety, nor for the families of those workers. The danger extends far beyond the mining areas, since it also pollutes land and water supplies.

Their battle to continue and extend mountaintop removal, has become very ugly. Those protesting are being not only verbally, but physically threatened.

This is the time to push Congress to send the Clean Water Protection Act to Mr. Obama. Please, would you take a minute to go here: http://www.ilovemountains.org/pass-the-cwpa/ and do that. It won't take long, and it could do so much to help the people of Appalachia. Thank you.

6 comments:

Sylvia K said...

I signed and sent the petition, Bobbie, thanks for letting us know.

Sylvia

A Wild Thing said...

I signed and sent too and will keep on protesting till they get a clue. I live 3 miles, as the crow flies, from a coal ash dump...I think people have no clues here!!!

Thanks for sharing!

sharon

Kay said...

I love how you are trying to do something about this Bobbie. We need to fight for clean water. It's still a cause for my husband who worked for EPA.

karin said...

I signed and sent the petition also the one to the Army Corps of Engineers. I hope I did it right.

Rambling Woods said...

I will do that. You are so great on green issues...

Lisa (Mountain Photog) said...

Great post! This is such a horrendous practice. Reminds me of a John Prine Song:

"Oh daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away."