Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Very, Very Tall



Another rainy morning. But I went outside to take a picture of my extremely tall flowers. I used to know all the flowers in my garden, but this year some really surprised me.

What kind of flower is this? Can someone please tell me. I have never had such tall flowers in my garden before. First it was the cosmos, growing five and six feet tall. That never happened to me before.

Now this one. It is at least eight feet tall! Maybe taller. That's what has me puzzled. I have never seen any so very tall. Would appreciate a certain ID. Here's the flower, and a close up of the leaves.

12 comments:

kenju said...

Bobbie, it looks like cosmos, but I've never seen it that color. It is usually pink, hot pink, magenta or purple.

kenju said...

It is. Bobbie, google "cosmos flowers' and click images - you'll see all the colors it comes in.

Daryl said...

They look like yellow cosmos ..

Anonymous said...

That is a tall flower. Cosmos is about the tallest that we get or have had.

Rambling Woods said...

I can't help you on the id Bobbie, but it is beautiful.. We had had a lot of rain here too... Michelle

bobbie said...

Thanks everyone. The consensus seems to be cosmos. But the leaves are very different from the pink white and lavender cosmos. Still, it could be.

They were all from a big box of mixed seeds, so I can't tell.

karin said...

Nothing like it in my wildflower book. Don't know cultivated flowers but I'm curious about "cosmos" so I'll follow the suggesestion and google it. Many of the yellow flowers we see are DYCs (damn yellow composites).

karin said...

Following on my previous post cosmos are in the Aster family and in the same tribe as Sunflowers, so it is a DYC.

Kathie Brown said...

Bobbie, what fun this post has been, the mystery and the comments! Looks like you've got it solved!

Sylvia K said...

They are TALL! Beautiful color, look like cosmos, but who knows????

Great shots, Bobbie!

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I know nothing about flowers, except that these are beautiful and tall. I like them! ;-)

Paz

shelly said...

I wanted to plant the yellow cosmos this year but never got around to it...that would have been my guess. I always say you gotta grow it to know it - wasn't positive about the foliage.