Monday, October 19, 2009

It Stopped Raining!

Just had to take a little ride today, in the sunshine! After reading Lisa'a post I decided to head up to the Point. We had talked about the Vi-Tex, and Lisa said she wasn't familiar with that, so I went looking for the bushes I knew grew at one end of the lake, and on the island. They are starting to form their purple, cone shaped heads, but are not yet in full
bloom. Can you see them, behind the birds?



She had spoken of a lone swan who seems to be spending much time on the island, away from the other swans. I found that alright, surrounded by other birds.





Returning from the Point, I passed this scene, typical of the season. I'm glad that Emma had a good crop. So many on the east coast did NOT this year.




Then I turned up Ferry Road, just because I enjoy driving along the bay. I found one of my favorite sights - the phragmites, with their feathery heads glistening in the sunlight. They are thought of as a nuisance around here, spreading intrusively where they are not wanted. But I love them all the same. I love to hear them whisper in the wind.



It's so good to see the sun again!

12 comments:

karin said...

I haven't seen phragmites in a long time. Aren't they also called Mexican Bambooo? Haven't seen rain in a long time either. We just moved down to the Phoenix area and it was 99F today. Also just set up the satellite dish and now google doesn't know who I am and can't get on my blog. So I don't know if I'll even be able to post this comment

Kay said...

I love seeing those grasses blowing in the wind. I'm glad you were able to get some sun.

Casdok said...

I can see why you enjoy your ride out. I too love grass whispering in the wind.

Daryl said...

Its good to see the sun and feel its warmth .. there is a lot of nice autumn in the air this day.

I never knew those 'reeds' were called phragmites

Deborah Godin said...

Great post! Without the pictures, I might have thought you were writing about something quite different. Vi-Tex sounds like a new kind of man-made fabric, and phragmites, well, they sound more like they should be found in caves! Glad you have such a nice drive in the sun!!

Lisa (Mountain Photog) said...

Cool little pumpkin patch! And I love the tall grass. Phragmites, eh? They do sound like something that should be found in a cave. LOL!

Rambling Woods said...

Oh that lone swan reminds me of Benji the goose and his need to hang out with other water fowl. I hope it finds a mate. I am glad you were able to get out for a drive... Michelle

Maithri said...

What a beautiful post my friend, I can almost hear them whispering in the wind,

Much love and peace to you,

M

Dianne said...

I love those tall whispering things too :)

it was a pretty day today, glad you enjoyed it

dianasfaria.com said...

Thank you for this lovely tour. I can tell your road trip in the sunshine was amazing and uplifting. I love being out in the sunshine too!

Anonymous said...

Sunshine is nice any time of the year unless you live in Arizona, Texas or southern Florida. Then a break is just as nice and rain is usually welcomed.

I like the road side display of pumpkins.

Unseen India Tours said...

Beautiful and lovely post !! Shots are fantastic !!Unseen Rajasthan