Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cosmos



I just love my cosmos this year. I have never before had them grow so tall and so abundantly. Their seeds were part of the mix in a box that Lisa gave me last Christmas.











All summer long they were just feathery foliage that kept growing and growing without blooms. I despaired of ever seeing anything but greenery.






But finally they started to bud.

















By this time, they were so tall that they started to bend toward the earth. I had no more stakes to hold them up. For the most part, they held one another up.



















They are a real joy.

7 comments:

Daryl said...

I wonder if you didnt plant them late ... late in, late to bloom .. but it was worth the wait, I would say, they look lovely and so cheerful...

Lisa (Mountain Photog) said...

Lovely photos, Bobbie! I love Cosomos. I tried to grow them one year but as soon as they would bloom the critters would eat the blossoms. I didn't bother the following year. lol

Deborah Godin said...

These were always a fave of mine too, these and hollyhocks bring memories of my childhood gardens.

Rambling Woods said...

Oh my goodness. I was given a pack of mixed flowers and now I know that some of them are cosmos. I agree that they are beautiful Bobbie.. Michelle

Dawn Fine said...

I do love cosmos..tall and beautiful flowers..and colors.

Crayons said...

Beautiful! These are one of my favorite flowers because they come out so late. I usually buy them at the Farmer's Market -- I live in the city.

I love the way you love your garden. It's a metaphor for life itself.

Finally, talking about computer problems! I've been without computer and Internet for two months. But I'm back now, and I'll have time to visit my bloggy friends again.

Kathie Brown said...

I love cosmos! I need to try and see if they will grow here in the Tucson area!