Friday, October 17, 2008

NPR and a New Book


This morning I received an email from my youngest daughter. She knows of my interest in autism, and she sent me a link to an article in her American Public Media Newsletter. If you have even the remotest interest in the subject of autism, if you have a family member or friend who is autistic, if you have a young child yourself, I urge you to read this article. It offers a link to a conversation with Paul Collins, who has a young son who is autistic, and who has written a book called Not Even Wrong: Adventures in Autism. No, I have not yet read the book. I will, as soon as I can get my hands on a copy.


I'm sorry that I missed hearing this on National Public Radio, but fortunately my daughter, who has done interviews with authors on NPR, keeps up with their programming, and keeps Mom informed on such things.

Whether or not you want to read the book, whether or not you are seeking further information on the subject, the article is worth reading.


After one week's time, this article will not be the main feature shown when you go through the link. But you will be able to access it through their Archives.

Have you visited: casdok-facesofautism.blogspot.com - You might find it interesting.
Or what about: jerobison.blogspot.com - a blog written by an autistic man.

8 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

I will check that out Bobbie. When I graduated with my degree in special education (mental retardation), there weren't even any classes for students with autism...Michelle..

Daryl said...

What a good daughter ..

BTW did you catch McLame's remark about Sarah Palin and autism .. I found this very odd since Palin's infant has Downs Syndrome ... I dont know how old or young a child can be before they are diagnosed with autism ...

:-Daryl

Mare said...

I also am very interested in the data about autism. I read the book,'The Strange Incident of the Dog in the Night' and 'Running with Scissors' and gained some new perspective to this baffling problem. Thanks for the link.
Mare

Anonymous said...

Yes, I caught that, too (comment by daryl) how McCain keeps on and on about autism in regards to Palin. Doesn't anyone in the campoaign have a clue? anyway, I'm getting off track - thanks Bobbie for posting this, I will check out the article as well.

bobbie said...

In all fairness, I do think that Sarah Palin has an autistic nephew. But I really don't think either she nor John McCain has a clue. And when he held her up as "a model" to all women.........well, never mind.

Cliff said...

Yep, idiots all of them. Sarah probably doesn't even know she has a child with D.S.

One philantropy I support has spent a lot of money working on autism. One day, maybe.

Webradio said...

Thnak You for the link...

KG said...

I'm a HUGE NPR fan and I think it's fantastic your daughter has done some of the author interviews. I just heard a great one a couple of days ago with Toni Morrison. Anyway I am a big nerd and I'm excited I Feel like I know somebody who knows somebody who is on NPR.

Wow, I"m a dork!