Sunday, October 5, 2008

Miscellany


Had a nice little excursion yesterday. Just a pleasant ride with Villas Girl to a local nursery and farm stand. It's a large one and very popular. It's also really beautiful, especially this time of year, with hundred of mums, other flowers and trees. Inside, their produce can't be beat. This time I came away with corn and beets as well as some small, decorative pumpkins and a big p
ot of red mums.


The Villas Girl, (Lisa),
has a new blog! It's going to be a great one, because it's all photos, and she takes some real winners! It's very smart looking. Congratulations on an auspicious beginning, Lisa.



Had a phone call from my daughter in California on Saturday. She was enjoying a lazy day at home. They were putting
up some Halloween decorations, and Isaac and Mike were making pipe cleaner spiders. I could hear Isaac in the background, giggling and being silly. Kitty said he was playing with the finger puppets I had given
him - a witch
and a vampire - and a couple of little wind-up Halloween figures.



They had gone camping again last weekend in Big Sur, but there is another 10,000 acre fire up that way again. The sites - in fact the whole park is closed now. After all the fires, they have to go to work trying to prepare for possible mud slides now.
It
's a never-ending battle.




I think, right where I live, we are more fortunate than most. I hear of all the fires and floods and hurricanes, etc. all around the country. Even very close to home, there have been some pretty serious problems with weather. So far, they have missed us. Aside from a few stretches of terribly hot weather, we really haven't suffered much. Winters don't bring us the worst of the bitter cold or really deep snow either. Once in a very great while we have seen a blizzard, but the proximity to the ocean and salt air melts it very soon. In the thirty years I've been here, I remember only one time when I had to call Town Hall, where I worked, and ask for transportation to work from the Police because I couldn't get the car out of the driveway.


Enough of that! Winter will be here soon enough. For now, I'll just enjoy the beautiful weather we've had the past week or so. I haven't planted any bulbs yet, and it's about time. Oh yes! I bought some bulbs yesterday too. And it's time to cut down what's left of the sunflowers. The Montauk daisies are blooming now, as you can see here. I have a huge bush of the daisies in the back yard. I had planted them a few years back. And I put in a small bush out front last year, which has already grown so big! And I think I have a few potatoes I can dig now. Maybe I'd better stop typing, and get out in the garden.


22 comments:

kenju said...

Those red mums are my very favorites, Bobbie! I have three of those. Good photos and so are Villas Girl's!

Sylvia K said...

Your photos are exquisite as always! Such a lovely way to celebrate the day. Thanks for sharing them and your thoughts -- as always.

dianasfaria.com said...

I love Montauk daisies too! What an assortment of gourds they have here.

Webradio said...

Hello You !
You are always beautiful photos... And nice texts...
I'll come again on Your blog...
See You later.

Kelly said...

What beautiful flowers and the pumkins are a sure sign that Fall is here! Can't wait to check out Villas Girls new blog, thanks for sharing and the update!

Bear Naked said...

Beautiful Autumn photos Bobbie.
The second one is my favourite.
My husband said today, "Wouldn't it be great if there was a place on earth that had perpetual Autumn."

Bear((( )))

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi and thank you for the mention of my new blog. Appreciate it.

Everyone needs a lazy day at home. I can just hear Mike & Isaac laughing and having a good time playing with the finger puppets and making the pipe cleaner spiders.

What a shame about Big Sur. I didn't realize that a fire had started again. Scary with the fires and possible mud slides. You are right about the weather here. We have been very lucky.

Well thanks again. Lisa

Anonymous said...

That was a real pick-me-up dose of autumn, and enjoyed your notes, too! Not much happening around here yet. And thanks for the tip on Villas Girl's new blog. Will boookmark it too.

Anonymous said...

I love these pics, Bobbie. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Every time you mention Big Sur or Monterey I want to get out my ruck-sack nad hit the road...except it's rather a long way from here! The daisies are so lovely, by the way.

Gretchen said...

Really nice shots. Gets me in the mood for autumn!

Judy said...

Your pictures are wonderful. The mums and daisies are so pretty. I love fall. It is my favorite time of the year but do hate to see winter come.

Shelly said...

Wow Bobbie, that nursery looks like a really fun place for us garden lovers to visit! Great photos, love those fall colors ;)

Daryl said...

WONDERFUL photos .. I wanna go pumpkin picking!!!!

:-Daryl

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

These are gorgeous fall pictures. We are only just now seeing the beginnings of fall, but it won't be long now before the trees start turning.

Your daisies are beautiful.

Linda Murphy said...

Such beautiful colors in the flowers, the pumpkins-fall is one of my favorite seasons.

Definitely go and enjoy that garden!

Dianne said...

those mums are lovely. what a great post, I enjoyed hearing what was up with the left coast side of the family

off to check out Lisa's new photo blog

Ralph said...

I wish we had more of those local farm stands around us. Went to the store the other day and bought some apples - no taste.
Speaking of taste, Lisa's new blog is going to be a sure winner.
Ralph

me ann my camera said...

I love going to an outdoor market this time of year and seeing all the produce on display; especially the piles of huge, orange pumpkins. Now that the frost has taken most of my flowers I line my sidewalk garden with pumpkins on each side and leave them there until Hallowe'en. I enjoyed your trip too.

Anil P said...

The daisies are very pretty, so full of life that one cannot but feel bright and cheery.

To be in a farm and see all that local produce must feel refreshing.

nonizamboni said...

Wonderful post, Bobbie--and all those Turks Turbans lounging around! You made my day since its has been rainy and blustery here.And you seem to have autumn in full swing in your own backyard.
Happy week!

Kathie Brown said...

bobbie, I love all these scence of autumn!

storyteller said...

I’ve visited Villas Girl’s new photo blog and found her photos lovely. YOUR flowers are beautiful too and I love the pumpkin pile.
Hugs and blessings,